Sunoco Super Late Model Series
Gates Open: 5 p.m.
Start Time: 7 p.m.
Saturday Night February 29th
Sunoco Super Late Model Mardi Gras 100
plus Legends, Pure-stocks, Scramblers & Mini-cups !
Effective 1-25-2020 Pit passes now $35
Seniors 55+: $13
6-12: Kids 5-12 $5
2020 Sportsman Rules
2020 Sportsman Rules
*Series officials shall be empowered to permit minor deviations from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his/her opinion does not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from such altercation of specifications. *The series reserves the right to update, modify, and/or delete rules at any time deemed necessary to ensure safety, fair competition or any other reason that may be appropriate. *PLEASE BE SURE YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE GENERAL RULES, SAFETY RULES AND DRIVER SAFETY EQUIPMENT BEFORE CONTINUING. *The word STOCK used within this set of rules means as originally produced by the manufacturer for that make/model/year of car with no altering or modifications. Stock replacement parts ok. Must be same dimensions, weight, and/or volume as OEM part. Determination of whether an aftermarket part is legal will be the tech inspector’s decision. *NO CARBON FIBER OR TITANIUM PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON CAR. NO BUMP STOPS, COIL BINDING, BUMP SPRINGS OR CHASSIS LIMITERS. NO TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE(S) OF ANY KIND. * Absolutely no radios allowed in qualifying. Cell phones, Bluetooth devices and smart watches are not permitted in car at any time. No digital dashes allowed. Stepper motor individual gauges are OK.
*2020 Championship Point Fund Criteria Drivers must compete in 80% of events during the 2020 season and attend the Awards Banquet to be eligible to receive banquet awards or special category awards at the 2020 Championship Awards Banquet.
1. Must be American made rear wheel drive passenger cars or station wagons only.
2. Minimum wheel base 104 inches. Maximum tread width 68” center tire to center tire. (66” using Referee)
3. If Transponders are used, they must be mounted behind rear axle on right rear frame rail.
1. 2800 lbs. min with 56% max, left side.
2. No heavy metals for ballast. Lead only, must be painted white, with car number visible from outside of car, and have a minimum of two” bolts. Any car with lead that does not comply is subject to loss of all points for that event.
3. No titanium allowed anywhere on car
4. In the event a visiting competitor comes to race, the tech inspector will have the right to add weight to make more competitive with our rules.
1. Unaltered Sealed 602 crates with GM or Series approved seals ONLY. The only exception is you are allowed to use the 604-crate engine oil pan (Recommended option) or 7” inexpensive steel oil pan (Retail $150.00 or Less) with Unaltered Holly 650 HP 4150-80541 four-barrel with 1” aluminum spacer. Absolutely No Alterations!!!!!
2. Body of carburetor – no polishing, grinding, or drilling of holes permitted. No paint, epoxy or any other type of coating other than from carburetor manufacturer allowed inside or outside of carburetor.
3. Any attempt to pull outside air other than down through venturis is not permitted.
4. A minimum of two return springs is required. Throttle stops recommended.
5. Unsealed 602 crates will have a 75lbs weight penalty. Subject to normal tech and must meet 602 guidelines 100%.
6. This is the only motor option.
1. Forward most spark plug must be set back no further than upper ball joint ½” tolerance.
2. Engine height 4 1/4” from center of crankshaft to center of lower control arm bolts that must be in stock location.
3. Engine offset maximum of two inches to centerline of front lower control arm bolts.
FUEL: 1. Sunoco Spec Fuel or pump gas only. This will be the only fuel permitted to be used and must be unaltered. Fuel samples may be taken at any time and tested. Ethanol, Alcohol, nitro- methane, nitrous oxide, other oxygenating agents, or other additives are not permitted. Use of such substances or additives will result in immediate D.Q.
2. Fuel cell mandatory, 22-gallon maximum capacity.
3. No electric fuel pumps.
4. OBERG Fuel Valve # SV-0828 or SRI #FFF-FSV. IGNITION SYSTEM/COOLING/AIR
1. FAST Ignition part # 6000-6701 only as produced from FAST and mounted on the right side, out of reach of driver with dials pointed out the passenger side on the original plate. The mag positive & negative shall be a maximum length of 62 inches. Must remain uncut or spliced and on top of dash in clear view, 6200 chip for crates. Rev limiter must face passenger side window.
2. HEI ignition with an MSD soft touch rev limiter (not inside distributor with a 6200chip for crates. Mounted on right side out of reach of driver. Rev limiter must face passenger side window.
3. Maximum of one, 12-volt battery per car. Alternators ok. $299.99 max retail value on battery. No Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion.
4. Radiator cap not to exceed 31psi.
5. All air to carburetor must pass through a minimum of 14″x3″ air cleaner and must be naturally forced from windshield or outside of hood. No ram air, electrically pushed air, or alike allowed.
6. Series approved headers must have an advertised retail purchase price not to exceed $749 and must be available for all competitors to purchase at the price. Coating and/or painting ok as long as base price of headers does not exceed $749.
1. Stock steel bodies, after market fiberglass or aluminum bodies or fabricated bodies, Subject to tech approval. Roof height 46” minimum, 36 ½ maximum quarter height, 48” front overhang with maximum of 3 ½” splitter and 47” rear overhang.
2. Bumpers shall not have sharp edges or open ends. Steel bumpers front, rear, and door bar are mandatory. ONLY exception is you are allowed an aluminum I-beam style rear bumper. I-beam style bumpers must be cut at a minimum of 30-degree angle with the front side (closest to fuel cell) being longer than rear side. No wider than 60 inches and must be centered on the car.
3. Stock or fabricated firewall and floor pan allowed.
4. Minimum ground clearance 4 inches, body, frame and side skirts at all times. Plastic wear tabs are allowed to extend below 4 inches, no other exceptions.
5. MUST run a Roof (minimum 45” wide x 38” long) and full Lexan windshield ½” tolerance on roof dimensions. “B” pillars must stop a minimum of 15″ from rear spoiler and must taper from roof line to deck lid. Side window opening must be a minimum 12” tall x 22” wide with no obstructions. 1” tolerance on side window openings.
6. No Sideboards, Rutters or Fins on side of body. Exception: All body panels are allowed to have a maximum 1” break at bottom, parallel to the ground, must have rounded corners facing inward and outward. No wheel flares allowed past the sidewall of the tire, or rear edge of tire. This will be checked with a straightedge.
7. All air used to cool the engine must pass through opening in the nose piece, through a sealed air box and into the radiator. There is no bottom feeding of air, or air boxes without a bottom on them. No tape, or removable air blocking devices will be allowed on nose or nose screen area. The way the car qualifies is the way it MUST start the feature. No panning allowed.
8. No types of under-body air deflectors are allowed. All air for blowers or coolers in the engine compartment must be pulled from the nose or the radiator air box. Air may not be blown or forced onto the tire or bead. Air may only be directed to the brake rotors. The duct work between the nose and the radiator may be no wider than 31” and may not be carbon fiber. No part of air box maybe wider than radiator.
9. Ride height minimum 4” Body, Frame and Lead at all times. No pulling up on car in tech line. 10. Maximum deck lid width is 72 inches. 11. Spoilers can be a maximum of 6” tall x 72” wide. All spoilers must be clear. Must be centered on car regardless of width. May not extend past quarter panels even if the deck is less than 72” wide. Base of spoiler may not extend off rear of deck lid.
1. Full roll cage mandatory minimum 4 point. Must be 1 ¾” x .095” round steel tubing and must have 4 horizontal bars driver’s side and 3 horizontal bars passenger side. Front and rear loop optional.
2. Minimum fuel cell height 7”.
1. Radio communication to the drivers is highly recommended. Teams without a spotter must have a yellow stripe on back bumper of car and must inform series officials in the drivers meeting.
2. Approved seat belts and double shoulder harness will be required, no older than five (3) years. A crotch strap will be required.
3. A capable form of head & neck restraint must be used.
4. Helmet must be 2010 Snell standard or better and have sticker visible for inspection. Full-face helmets required.
5. Clean, full driving suit and approved gloves for fire protection are mandatory.
6. Side plate for driver’s door will be mandatory. Must be 12 inches (12”) high post-to post, 1/16” minimum thickness steel and must be fastened with a minimum of six (6) half-inch bolts or securely welded to series’ approval.
7. Driver’s window must be equipped with safety net with quick release-latch. String window nets will not be permitted. The minimum net size must be 18” wide and 16” high. When latched, the window net must fit and pull tight.
8. Resilient padding designed for roll bar use must be installed on any roll cage member which can be reached by any extremity of the driver while driver is normally seated with restraints fastened. Steering wheel must be padded.
9. All lead weights must be painted white, with the car number painted on each individual piece. All lead weights must be securely fastened. No Tungsten or similar weight allowed!
10. It is highly recommended that all competing teams have a minimum 10 lb. working fire extinguisher in pits
11. A main electrical cut-off switch needs to be clearly marked and easily accessible to safety crews.
12. Numbers must be a minimum of 21” in height, with body of each character a minimum of 3” in width and must be professionally placed on each door. A number will be required on top, readable from the infield.
13. A car number at least six inches (6”) in height must be placed in the upper right-hand corner of the windshield.
14. Batteries must be securely mounted outside of driver’s compartment.
15. A working Fire Suppression system or driver accessible fire extinguisher is required. Minimum of 5lbs with gauge. All cars must have an OBERG, SRI or other Series approved Vacuum Style fuel shut off placed at the point the fuel exits the cell.
1. OEM or 2 x 4 tube front clip. 25lbs of existing weight to be mounted in front of flywheel for tube clip. Weight penalty will go away in 2021. Guidelines: Must use stock lower A- Frames, may not interchange manufactures, GM on GM, Ford on Ford and must maintain 3.5” for the center of the front lower control arm bolts to the bottom of the cross member equally at all times. This can be obtained by welding nuts on the bottom of the cross member and threading bolts into them and adjusting by bolts and washers This pertains to ALL clips, OEM or tube. Lower mounts must be solid and nonadjustable. Must measure 17” with a ¼” tolerance from center bolt to center bolt on front side of lower control arm and 27” with a ¼” tolerance from center of bolt to center of bolt on front side of the rear lower control arm mount. Any tube clip that doesn’t meet these specs will be deemed illegal.
2. OEM lower a frame for chassis in stock location. No modifications of any kind other than weld in ball joint sleeve in original position. No roller bearing upper control arms.
3. Adjustable one-piece sway bar only.
4. Any idler arm and pitman arm in stock location. Steel tie rods or heim ends allowed inner and outer. Aluminum adjuster tube allowed.
5. Stock steering box in stock location.
6. Rack and pinion steering allowed with 25 pounds of existing weight must be mounted in front of flywheel.
7. OEM spindles only, No tubular spindles. No drop spindles. Spindles may not be altered in anyway except drilling for tie rod which must remain stock OEM location and reaming for ball joints which must also remain in stock OWM location. No altering of hub pin or slugs to alter inclination angle.
1. Steel multi or mono-leaf springs. No composite or fiberglass.
2. Rear coils 5” diameter minimum. Coil over eliminators allowed on rear with 5” spring and (1) 360-degree spring rubber per wheel.
3. No fifth (5th) coil, torque arm or lift bar suspensions will be permitted. No birdcage set- ups of any kind (3 or 4 link). Trailing arms must mount to rear end in a solid fashion (heim allowed) and no part of the trailing arm mounting may freely rotate around the rear end and no center pull (Trailing arm must be mounted a minimum of 2 inches below the bottom of the tube, this is measured from the bottom of the tube to the center of trailing arm bolt). All parts of 3 or 4 Link must be solid, one-piece construction with no moving parts, with one heim at each end. Trailing arms, third link and track bar mounts must also be solid and may not have the ability to move. (Minimum 21” and maximum 30” trailing arm length is center of heim to center of heim both mounted in forward direction and no more than 6” difference in length between the left and right trailing arm).
1. STEEL non-adjustable with aluminum heim allowed. No adjustable shafts or canisters permitted.
2. Shock claim rule of $150.00 per shock, competitor or series may claim one to all four shocks. 3. Absolutely no bump-stops, coil binding or chassis stops (up or down) of any type. Will be checked by putting front tires on 1/2″ blocks and nose on the ground. 4. Shocks must be mounted within 35 degree of perfectly vertical. SPRINGS: 1. Front springs to be 5” x 9.5” minimum height to a maximum 5.5” x 12”. Must be a pig tail style spring maintaining the same diameter from top to bottom. No progressive or digressive spring rates allowed. Retail cost of spring to be no more than $119.99. No coil-binding allowed. Only one 360-degree spring rubber allowed per spring. No helix or spring spacers allowed. 2. Rear springs to be 5” x 8” minimum height to a maximum of 5” x 13”. Same diameter from top to bottom. No progressive or digressive spring rates allowed. Retail cost of spring to be no more than $119.99. No coil-binding. One 360-degree spring rubber allowed per spring. No helix or spring spacers allowed.
1. Aftermarket pedals and master cylinders OK. Only one brake bias adjuster.
2. OEM appearing single piston calipers only. Max retail value of $139.99 3. Four wheel working brakes mandatory
3. Proportioning valves ok as long as they are out of cock pit and out of reach of driver
3. Rotor must be steel. No titanium or other materials allowed
1. Rear end: Stock or 9” floater, must be locked or use a spool.
2. 5 on 5 quick change with spool and steel tubes only. No cambered snouts (.5-degree tolerance from zero). No light weight Spur gears. No wide 5. 3. Axles must maintain a minimum diameter of 1.200” with a tolerance of -.010”. Purchase price not to exceed advertised pricing of $150 and must be available for any competitor to purchase at that price. No titanium or “wrap-up” axles allowed.
3. Multiple disc clutches with steel floaters and aluminum pressure plates permitted, minimum 7 ¼” in diameter. Clutches must be positive engagement design. Slider or slipper clutch designs are not permitted. No carbon fiber clutches. Clutches found not to meet this definition will be deemed illegal.
4. Stock OEM 3 or 4 speed transmissions only. (2 forward 1 reverse) No polished, light weight gears or straight cut gears. (Richmond case ok) No reverse mount bellhousing and starters.
5. Steel driveshaft only painted white and a minimum diameter of 2” with 2 straps 1/8” x 2” minimum.
1. Steel 8” wide racing wheels only with 5/8” studs and 1” steel lug nuts mandatory. No bleeders of any kind allowed.
2. Track approved tires only. No soaking or altering of tire in any manor allowed. Drivers soaking or altering tires will forfeit all purse and points for the event and all track points for the year. Driver must also pay a $1,000 fine prior to being allowed to compete in series. Any illegal tire, in the judgment of Officials, will be confiscated.
1. The Chief Tech Inspector shall be authorized to make changes from any specification contained in these rules as a situation may dictate. Furthermore, the Chief Tech Inspector may impose further restrictions in an attempt to maintain fairness. Under no circumstances may the Tech Inspector alter any safety rule to less than stipulated. 2. ANY VARIANCE OF THESE RULES BY PARTICPANT THAT MAY ULTIMATELY LEAD TO A REDUCTION IN SAFETY, OR AN INCREASED RISK, TO ANY PARTICIPANT, SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY OF PARTY OR PARTIES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE VARIANCE. THE MANAGEMENT OF THE SPEEDWAY AND THE PROMOTERS SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR RULES AS PROVIDED. 3. OFFICIALS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CONFISCATE THE PARTS. PROTESTS: 1. Only drivers or team representative may protest. Protesting drivers and protested cars must have qualified and started the race. All protests must receive an approval of the pit officials. Spite or unsportsmanlike protests will not be accepted. 2. All protests must be submitted to pit officials in writing within 10 minutes of feature race completion, and be accompanied by required amount of cash shown below. All protest fees must be paid in cash. 3. P&G, Carburetor inspection $75 4. Whistler check $150 track/series retain $50 5. Top End tear down$800, track/ series retains $150 6. Scope of the crank area $150, track/series retains $50 7. Complete engine tear down $1000, track/series retain $250 8. Driver can only protest three times in one season and must wait three race weeks Before protesting again. 9. Drivers or cars found illegal forfeits all points and moneys earned for the entire race meet. 10. Refusal to comply with protest or to tear down when instructed by Speedway officials will result in a fine equal to protest amount, an automatic two race suspension and loss of points and moneys earned for the evening. Upon returning to competition driver must agree to tear down after racing events for free. CRATE MOTORS ONLY WITH A COMPETITOR PURCHSASE PROGRAM IN PLACE AS FOLLOWS: 1. AS LONG AS YOU HAD A CAR THAT QUALIFIED AND STARTED THE RACE YOU MAY PURCHASE A COMPETITORS MOTOR, YOU MUST HAVE A CLAIM SHEET FILLED OUT AND TURNED IN WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF TECH STARTING AND CASH IN HAND OF THE SERIES TECH OFFICIAL IN THE AMOUNT OF $ 4000.00 AND YOU WILL RECEIVE THE MOTOR YOU ARE CLAIMING EXACTLY AS IT COMES FROM GENERAL MOTORS, NO ACCESSORIES, CARB ETC. ***OIL PANS WILL STAY ON MOTOR REGARDLESS OF STOCK OR 7 INCH REPLACEMENT*** 2. IF THE PERSON YOU ARE CLAIMING REFUSES SALE HE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FOR THE NIGHT WITH ALL LOSS OF POINTS AND MONEYS AND WILL BE SUSPENDED FOR THE NEXT SERIES RACE, 3. IF THROUGHOUT THE YEAR THE SAME PERSON IS CLAIMED AGAIN AND REFUSES SALE, HE WILL BE ON A 5 RACE SUSPENSION. 4. IF THE PERSON GETTING CLAIMED IN TURN WANTS TO SELL HIS ENGINE BUT THEN WANTS TO PURCHASE THE CLAIMEES ENGINE HE CAN DO SO AND HIS COST TO DO SO IS $ 3695.00 THEREFORE HE WOULD ONLY ACCEPT $305.00 OF THE MONEY, HE DOESN’T HAVE TO HAVE $ 3695.00 IN HIS HAND AS HE WASN’T EXPECTING TO HAVE TO DO THIS 5. IF THE CLAIMEE REFUSES TO SELL HIS ENGINE FOR THE $ 3695.00 ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE OFF AND NOW THE CLAIMEE IS DQED AND IS SUSPENDED FOR 1 RACE ETC ***Official’s reserve the right to make changes to the rulebook throughout the year if deemed necessary and will do so by adding addendums and notifying competitors of any upcoming rule changes ***