AUBURNDALE SPEEDWAY 2023 PRO-LATE MODEL RULES
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements of such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all such events. All participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from publications of or compliance with these rules and/or regulations. Speedway rules are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant.
*Speedway Officials shall be empowered to permit minor deviations from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his/her opinion does not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from such altercation of specifications.
*Speedway reserves the right to update, modify, and/or delete rules at any time deemed necessary to ensure safety, fair competition, or any other reason.
*Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the officials. Any decision of and by Speedway Officials is final.
*Unsportsmanlike-like conduct can carry a minimum $500.00 fine and/or suspension.
*Any competitor that finishes in the top 5 may be required, at their expense, to remove the intake, heads, and/or oil pan for inspection purposes.
*All cars must go through technical inspection prior to the car taking to the track for practice. Cars will be weighed with the driver, and may be done prior to or after qualifying and prior to or after the feature. Reading of designated scales will be official.
*Any issue that is discovered in pre-practice tech that is not fixed to officials’ satisfaction by pre-qualifying tech will result in the loss of one qualifying lap.
General / Weight:
Frames (See minimum chassis eligibility and requirements)
Carburetor / Spacer / Air Cleaner:
1. Holley 650 HP 4150-80541 (zinc or cast aluminum only) four-barrel with no alterations allowed.
2. Body of carburetor – no polishing, grinding, or drilling of holes permitted. No paint or any other type of coating other than from the carburetor manufacturer allowed inside or outside of the carburetor.
3. Any attempt to pull outside air other than down through venturis is not permitted.
4. A minimum of two return springs is required. Throttle stops recommended.
5. Unaltered GM # 88958604 / 88869604 may use a maximum height of 1” aluminum open, (4) hole type or tapered spacer only with 1 paper gasket per side not to exceed .065″ in thickness. Fords are not allowed any spacer with 1 paper gasket not to exceed .065″ in thickness.
6. Air cleaner maximum diameter of 16-inches cannot be removed at any time and may not be sprayed or soaked with any type of chemicals or liquids. Nothing may direct or control the flow of air inside the air cleaner housing except the air cleaner element.
7. No heat shields or any other type of hot air deflection device or airflow deflection device allowed in the engine compartment.
1. Measured from the center of #1 spark plug hole to the center of the top ball joint within ¼” tolerance is 4”inches.
2. Engine must be in the center of the frame with 1″ tolerance.
3. Center of crankshaft to ground clearance 10″.
Transmission / Clutch:
Brakes / Brake Cooling:
Wheels / Tires:
1. Only 10” Racing steel wheels, steel studs and steel lug nuts allowed and must have decal with correct car number.
2. No Air bleeders permitted.
3. Track Tire Only. No soaking or altering of tire in any manner allowed. Drivers soaking or altering tires will forfeit all purses and points for the event and all track points for the year. Drivers must also pay a $1,000 fine prior to being allowed to compete at Speedway. Any illegal tire, in the judgment of Speedway Officials, will be confiscated.
4. Maximum tread width allowed is 66” (No Tolerance).
Shocks / Springs:
1. One shock per wheel. Shocks must be only mechanical in nature and no part of suspension or shocks may utilize electricity. No Inverter-style dampners, a.k.a. “J dampners,” shocks allowed.
2. Maximum one coil spring and one bump spring associated with each wheel.
3. Steel Coil over or bucket type springs permitted only. No titanium, air, or carbon fiber.
Rear-ends / Drive Shaft:
1. Standard Winters or equal type/brand of quick-change rear end with spur gears out the back cover, with a spool and minimum 8” ring gear are the only type of rear-end allowed. Steel axles only with a minimum diameter of .940”.
2. No Independent rear suspension.
3. No fifth (5th) coil, torque arm or lift bar suspensions will be permitted. No bird cage set- ups of any kind (3 or 4 link). Trailing arms must mount to the rear end in a solid fashion (heim allowed) and no part of the trailing arm mounting may freely rotate around the rear end.
4. All parts of rear suspension must be solid, one-piece construction with no moving parts, with one heim at each end. All mounts for trailing arms, third links and track bars must also be solid and may not have the ability to move.
5. Minimum wheelbase of 101” and a difference from left to right may not exceed ½ inch.
6. Steel or Aluminum drive shaft only and must be painted white or silver. No carbon fiber wrapped in aluminum.
7. Minimum of one 360-degree loop, 1″ x 1/8″ steel.
1. All competing cars must utilize bodies listed below. 2018 A-B-C Body Rules apply unless otherwise specified herein. Refer to A-B-C Rulebook and guidelines for details. Also, no panels allowed extending the top edge of doors. Any holes in the body not being used must be covered and remain so during the race. The Five Star Next Gen body has been approved for competition in its original configuration only. The AR Revolution body is approved for competition.
2. Minimum/ Maximum Nose Height will be: Minimum nose, body and frame height is 4” and Maximum of 8”. (While in tech for the purposes of tech inspection)
3. At all times, the original ABC body’s “A” measurement must maintain a minimum length of 11.5 inches and 20 inches is the minimum length allowed for the nose, measured from the bottom leading edge at center and up to the hood seam. Only ABC manufacturer’s standard grill screens may be used for the radiator opening in the nose.
4. No panels allowed extending the top edge of doors. The car body must be always acceptable to Officials. No car will be allowed to start a race without a full body.
5. 12-inch A-pillar vent windows are mandatory with a maximum of 1-inch of straight-line deflection and must be smooth, no bead rolls or breaks.
6. Front nose valance may only be a single layer and only be a maximum 3/16” thick and may be only a maximum of 3”. Valance must be tight and not move.
7. Window tint of any kind will not be allowed on windows or spoilers.
8. A number will be required on the roof number must be 36″ in height and three inches wide.
9. The driver’s last name is to be displayed on both sides along or just above the rocker panel below the car number in 4” readable letters.
Fuel System / Cell:
1. Track fuel required. This will be the only fuel permitted to be used and must be unaltered. Fuel samples may be taken at any time and tested. Alcohol, nitro-methane, nitrous oxide, other oxygenating agents, or other additives are not permitted. Use of such substances or additives will result in immediate D.Q.
2. Manual, block mounted stock type fuel pumps only. No electric fuel pumps.
3. No icing, Freon type chemicals or refrigerants may be used in or near the fuel system or engine compartment.
4. Fuel cell mandatory, maximum 22 gallons vented with maximum 1″ vent to the outside left rear of body and a minimum height of 8 inches. No “U” Shaped Fuel Cells or nonstandard-shaped fuel cells. OBERG Fuel Valve # SV-0828 or SRI # FFF-FSV is Mandatory.
The front side of the cell is to be no closer than 10” to the back of the rear end tube.
Interior / Safety:
1. Radio communication to the drivers is mandatory, with a minimum of one (1) spotter for each team. Spotters must have a stand-alone radio or scanner to monitor race control.
2. Interiors must be steel or aluminum only and shield driver from ground, engine compartment and fuel cell area. Firewall must be no less than 24-gauge metal and fully seal the driver from the engine compartment.
3. Car may have an installed dash panel with optional gauges. No digital dashes will be allowed.
4. Cellphones, smart watches, or Bluetooth devices will not be allowed in race car at any time during tech, practice, qualifying or race, the driver will receive a $1000.00 fine on 1st offense and will be an automatic disqualification on the 2nd offense.
5. No in-car timing devices during competition. No driver adjustments in the car other than one brake bias adjuster allowed.
6. Master ON-OFF switch is recommended to be in the center of the car, clearly marked and within easy access of the driver as well as access from outside both window openings. At minimum, it must be clearly marked and easily accessible to safety crews.
7. Quick release steering wheel is mandatory. Center top section steering post must be padded with at least 2″ of padding material.
8. All roll bars surrounding the driver must be padded. Padding must be acceptable to Speedway Officials.
9. Professional manufactured aluminum racing seats with a SFI rating is highly recommended. The Kenny’s Components JL1 seats are approved if bolted in 6 locations with a minimum of 3/8 bolts, but any other carbon fiber seat must have prior approval and may be required to have a minimum SFI rating of 39.2. 10.SFI/FIA 5-point harness and window net required; net must release at top left corner. No older than 5 years old.
11.Rear view mirror permitted inside of car only.
12.Approved SFI/FIA helmet and fire suit, shoes and gloves required any time the vehicle is on a racing surface. Nomex head sock is highly recommended. Helmet must be 2015 Snell standard or better and have stickers visible for inspection.
13.SFI/FIA Head and neck restraint will be mandatory.
14.No Data Acquisition equipment/wiring is allowed in the car on officially recognized race or practice days.
15.Only one naca-duct in the left or right quarter window for helmet blower only. No reverse naca-ducts.
16.No part of the engine cooling system or fuel system may be in the driver’s compartment.
1. The main body of the front sway bar must be made of steel and may be splined for attaching to the main body. Heim joints may be used for attaching the sway bar arms to the lower control arms.
Late Model Rule Enforcement:
1. The Chief Tech Inspector shall be authorized to make changes from any specification contained in these rules as a situation may dictate. Furthermore, the Chief Tech Inspector may impose further restrictions to maintain fairness. Under no circumstances may the Tech Inspector alter any safety rule to less than stipulated.
2. Any variance of these rules by participants that may ultimately lead to a reduction in safety, or an increased risk, to any participant, shall be exclusive responsibility and liability of the party or parties responsible for the variance. The management of the speedway and the promoters shall not be responsible or liable for rules as provided.
3. Officials reserve the right to confiscate the parts.
MINIMUM CHASSIS ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
1. All chassis components must be made of magnetic steel and welded. The chassis must consist of a front and a rear sub-frame connected to the main frame on which the roll cage is welded and have a minimum overall height of 39”. Holes and/or other modifications that, in the judgment of the officials, were made with the intent of weight reduction will not be permitted.
2. Main Frame – The main frame must consist of two (2) side rails of magnetic steel box tubing minimum 2” x 3”, with a minimum wall thickness of .083” (recommended .120”). All frame rails must be parallel. The maximum distance from outside to outside of frame rails is 53 ¼”, and 50” minimum. Weight containers may be welded to the outside of the frame rails and must not exceed six inches in width measured from the inside edge of the frame rail to the outside edge of the weight container, and must not exceed the length of the frame rail.
3. Front sub-frame rails must be a minimum of 2” x 2” by .065” on the front clip from the front of the A-frame forward.
4. Rear sub-frame rails must be a minimum of 2” x 2” by .065” and must extend around the fuel cell.
B. Roll Bars:
C. Basic Roll Cage:
1. The main roll bar must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be a continuous length of tubing with one end welded perpendicular to the top of the right frame rail and one end welded perpendicular to the top of the left frame rail.
2. The distance from the center of each of the front roll bar legs to the center of the main roll bar must not measure less than 40-1/2″. Each of the front roll bar legs must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be constructed from a continuous length of tubing.
3. The halo must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be a continuous length and remain parallel within 1-inch to the main frame rails with a minimum height of 38″. The outside-to-outside width of the halo must be a minimum of 28″ front to rear and a minimum of 25″ from side to side.
4. The main roll bar diagonal bar must be made from a minimum of round steel DOM tubing 1-1/2″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must form a straight line, with no bends and must begin near the upper left and or right bend of the main roll bar and after intersecting the horizontal shoulder bar, should be supported from that point down to the main sub frame.
5. The dash panel bar must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be a continuous bar, with no bends, welded beneath the dash panel between the two (2) front roll bar legs at a minimum height of 16-1/2″ above the main frame rail.
6. The door bars must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness on the left side, must have a minimum of three (3) bars (Design A) or minimum of four (4) bars (Design B) equally spaced from top to bottom that must be welded horizontally between the vertical uprights of the main roll bar (#1) and the front roll bar legs. The top left side door bar minimum height must be a minimum vertical height of 18-7/8 inches from the top of the main frame rails. Left side door bars must be convex in shape and convex outward past the main frame rail. The left side door bars must have a minimum of six (6) vertical supports with two (2) equally spaced between each door bar. These supports must be made from a minimum of 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness magnetic steel seamless round tubing.
All door bars must be plated from the top door bar to the frame rails.
Design A (3 door bars) – minimum 0.090″ solid steel door plates must be welded or bolted to the roll cage using a minimum of six (6) each 3/8″ (.375-inch) aircraft quality bolts and washers.
Design B (4 door bars) – minimum 0.062″ (1/16″) steel door plates must be welded or bolted to the roll cage using a minimum of six (6) each 3/8″ (.375-inch) aircraft quality bolts and washers.
7. Right side door bars must be made from round steel tubing with a minimum of, one top bar of 1-3/4″ by .090″ (.000 tolerance) with a minimum height of 15″, maximum of 20 ½” and one diagonal bar of 1-1/2″ x .065″.
8. The left side vertical vent window bar must be made from a minimum of round steel DOM tubing 1-1/2″ by .065″ (.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be welded from the upper surface of the top door bars on the left side to the front roll bar legs.
9. The two rear down support bars must be made from round steel DOM tubing 1-1/2″ by .065″(.000 tolerance) minimum wall thickness and must be lengths of tubing welded to the left and the right backside of the main roll bar near the roof panel at the top and connects with the sub frame.
D. Driver’s box and foot box:
1. The floor pan of the driver’s box must be a minimum of 12-gauge (.100”) thickness steel plate and welded in.
2. The left side of the driver’s foot box must be plated with a minimum plate of 9” high by 12” long and a minimum .090” thickness of steel1“ plate and welded in place to protect the driver’s feet.
3. Behind the driver’s seat must be plated with a minimum .090” thickness steel plate, at minimum 10” tall by 12” wide and welded in place.
E. Fuel and Fuel Cell:
1. Fuel cell must be mounted in a minimum structure of 1”x 1” square steel tubing with a minimum thickness of .065” (.000 tolerance).
2. The fuel cell must be encased in a container of not less than 22 gauge (0.031” thick) magnetic sheet steel.
3. If the fuel cell container has a bolt on top, it must be bolted together with minimum 3/16” diameter bolts.
4. The bottom support frame must be constructed using a minimum of two (2) straps, 1 ½” x 0.125” minimum thick magnetic steel or 1”x 1” square steel tubing with a minimum thickness of .065” (.000 tolerance). These supports must be welded to the fuel cell front and rear cross members.
The support straps must extend down the front and rear equally spaced and under the fuel cell container.
5. A reinforcement plate of not less than 11 gage aluminum (.125” thick) flat plate must be installed in front will be mandatory and behind the fuel cell container is highly recommended. The plates must extend the entire height and width of the full cell container and be securely welded in place or bolted (minimum 3/16’ diameter bolts) with two (2) bolts on each side.
1. Nose/front bumper, tail/rear bumper cover must be a minimum 1.250” x .065” OD steel tubing. All supporting substructure must be constructed of a minimum ¾” x .065” wall round or square steel stock. If aluminum tubing is being utilized, minimum wall thickness must be .083”.
G. Chassis Right Side Body Bars:
1. Chassis right side door bars commonly called the outrigger or the kick-up bar supporting structures must be a minimum 1.250” x .065” OD steel tubing only. All supporting substructure must be constructed of a minimum ¾” x .065” wall round or square steel stock.